BiblioCommons is a Toronto based software company that builds SaaS solutions for public libraries. Located in the heart of the fashion district at Spadina and Adelaide, we have a team of 70+ people that are passionate about making public libraries accessible, delightful and engaging.
Engineering @ BiblioCommons:
BiblioCommons offers an opportunity to work in an environment that combines the challenges and complexity of a large-scale, data-intensive application with the creativity and fun of a sophisticated consumer web offering, central to the daily web interactions of millions of users.
We’re a highly collaborative team that applies innovative solutions to challenging problems. We believe strongly in shipping code early and often, and investing heavily in automation to make that possible. We’re also committed to doing things right and always looking for ways to do them better. We take the time to optimize and redesign systems that aren't robust and scalable.
We are looking for a Platform Engineer to build complex integration systems that will help discover more physical and digital content for millions of users as part of the ILS & Digital Integrations team. This role offers taking on challenges around distributed integration systems and cloud native best practices to help us move closer to the cloud.
You will enjoy and be successful in this role if you are:
- Great at debugging distributed systems
- Not afraid to step out of your comfort zone and dive deep
- Accountable and take ownership of your work
- Creative and enjoys brainstorming ideas with others to come up with the right solution
- Supportive and enjoys working as part of a team
- Passionate to self-improve, grow and seek new challenges
- Awesome at teaching others your skills
- Delivery focused and giving your best effort all the time
- Never content with the status quo. You are always looking to automate, improve processes, and follow best practices
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build complex physical and digital content integrations to enhance the library catalog experience for millions of users
- Enhance and extend complex back-end messaging applications to synchronize data between other systems and BiblioCore
- Refactor and migrate existing library vendor API integrations to the cloud
- Write robust and quality code with appropriate tests
- Tackling tech debt at the right times for faster feature delivery
- Troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis on integration issues
- Take ownership for the design, development, and operationalization of features and systems
- Participate in code review, and best practice discussions
- Be a mentor to our junior engineers
What you will bring to the team:
- 3-5 years of professional Server-side Java Experience
- Proven experience with: Spring, Hibernate, Maven/Gradle and related Java technologies
- Strong theoretical foundation in data structures, algorithms, and software engineering best practices
- Experience debugging and optimizing large-scale, multi-threaded systems
- Some experience building backend messaging applications
- Strong knowledge of RESTful API applications
- Have a mindset for end to end ownership of services
- Passionate, motivated, and capable of working autonomously
- Strong communication skills and collaborative across teams
Bonus Points for:
- DDD (Domain Driven Design)
- Experienced in a continuous integration and continuous delivery environment
- Experience building cloud native API based applications from concept to production on AWS
BiblioCommons is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available upon request to support your participation during all stages of the recruitment process.